Welcome to the Princeton University Host Database.
About the Host Database
General information about the database.
Which Devices Must be Registered in the Host Database?
Nearly all devices attached to the University's data network must be
registered in this database.
Who Needs to Register a Device in the Host Database?
Who is responsible for registering each device.
- Search/View the Host Database
- Search for and view entries in the Host Database.
- Identify My Computer
- Display the Host Database entry corresponding to the IP address
your device is presently using.
- Make Changes For Office Entries (i.e. all entries except Dormnet Subscriptions)
- Add, change, and delete Host Database entries
(except for those entries associated with a Dormnet subscription).
- Make Changes for Dormnet Subscriptions
- Subscribe to Dormnet,
unsubscribe from Dormnet,
change a Host Database entry associated with a Dormnet subscription,
or create an additional Dormnet entry.
- Departmental Contacts List
- View and edit the Host Database Departmental Contacts for a department.
- Fields in the Host Database
Detailed descriptions of most of the fields that may appear in the database.
- How to Subscribe a Wireless-Only Device to Dormnet
- A device lacking a 10Base-TX (or compatible) Ethernet interface
doesn't meet the minimum requirements for a Dormnet subscription,
but may still be subscribed to Dormnet.
- How to Swap the Ethernet and Wireless Hardware Addresses Within a Host Database Entry
How to correct a Host Database entry in which the Ethernet and Wireless
hardware addresses accidentally were entered "backwards."
- How to Move a Host Alias from One Host Database Entry to Another Host Database Entry
Procedures for moving a host alias.
- How to Request a Bulk Host Database Change
- When you need to make the same change to many existing Host Database entries,
OIT can make the change for you.
- Scheduling a Host Database Change For a Specific Time
- How to request that a Host Database change happen at a specific time.
- Programmatic Access to the Host Database via the hostExtDB Library
- How to read the Host Database programmatically.
Hostmaster's PGP public key is available
(Hostmaster's old PGP public key was
Here is a
key transition statement.)